Saturday, May 10, 2008

The Race



















Today we woke up early and went downtown to the Gateway for Race for the Cure. It was an incredible experience. I never realized how many people are affected in some way by cancer, either themselves or loved ones. I didn't fully comprehend how emotional the race would be. (Not just because of my mom, but I have heard so many other people express the same thought.) It was great to get out and have some fresh air. It couldn't have been a more beautiful day! The weather was perfect, we were all together as a family (except my brother Garrett who lives in Phoenix and was there in spirit), and we were part of something bigger. Tony decided to walk with my Dad and the kids, while Creighton and I ran. We got off to a good start and at the half way mark we decided to stop and wait for Tony, the kids and my father to catch up. Little did we know that they decided to do the shorted part of the race. We waited and waited and then decided that we had better just finish the race. We finally finished and ended at 1.16 hours. (It wouldn't have taken us this long if we didn't wait for about 40ish minutes). It was fun and I was excited to have the exercise and enjoy the outdoors. After the race we walked around for a bit and then decided to go get some icecream (ya I know, but I burned enough calories to have some.) We ended up at Leatherby's and had lunch there and ate icecream. It was a great day. Tony, the kids and myself went for a drive (We love going for drives). The kids napped and it gave the adults a little time to catch up. We ended the day by going to my cousins house. We had a BBQ (YUM!) and then played a litte volleyball and talked. The kids all played in the sandbox and played toys. It was a fun evening. I do need to work on my volleyball skills. I haven't played in a while and I am a bit rusty. We all laughed and had a great time!

7 comments:

Unknown said...

What a beautiful family:)

Kim said...

It sounds like a great way to celebrate your moms life & be together. I hope that you had a happy mothers day!

Family Days said...

What a fun time to be able to spend the day together as a family. I love Leatherby's...we once bought a whole gallon of their caramel and it was just two of us then with no kids. What were we thinking?!?

Dorey said...

I love that you did the race for a cure, It is amazing to hear other peoples stories of how they are affected by cancer. We'll have to do something like this together one day. =)

Burrellblog said...

Char-I love you so much. Next time let me know and I will run with you for your mom. I know you miss her and I want you to know that I think of you every day and hope that you are ok. Call me when you need me, anytime day or night. That's what sisters are for. Happy Mother's Day!!!Kathy

Jenna Johnson said...

WOW!!! I didn't realize how big that event was either! What a big step for you and your family to take! We need to get together soon!

Tami said...

Congrats on Race for the Cure! I know that holds special meaning to you and your family.