Thursday, September 24, 2009

Sail Baby

For some reason, I just love lullabies. There is a particular one that my mom taught me when Rylan was little. She would always sing it to him, and then I learned it. Often times we would both sing him to sleep. When Alana was born we would sing it to her as well. I still find myself singing it, now to Kelton. I just sing it. I didn't even know the name of it or anything. I just sung it because my mom and I would sing it together. I love the song, so I finally decided to find out what the name of it was. I found out that it's called Baby's Boat or Slumber Boat. I am so fond of this song and I can still hear my mom singing it. I enjoy singing it to my babies and rocking and snuggling them. I am going to post the lyrics. I guess this song has been around for a while, I hope that me singing it to my kids will keep the tradition going and maybe someday they will sing it to their kiddos also. I sure wish that I could ask my mom where she learned it. Maybe I will have that opportunity someday. Maybe I find it irresistible because it reminds me of my mom, but I hope you adore the lyrics as much as I do. The words and melody are really beautiful....

Baby's boat's a silver moon
Sailing o'er the sky
Sailing o'er a sea of sleep
As the stars go by.

Sail, baby, sail
Out across the sea
Only don't forget to sail
Back again to me.

Baby's fishing for a dream
Fishing near and far
His line a silver moonbeam is
His bait a silver star

If you find that dream so fair
Happy may it be
This will always be my prayer
May God watch over thee.

Sail, baby, sail
Out across the sea
Only don't forget to sail
Back again to me.
There is some variation in the lyrics, but you get the idea. What are some of your favorite lullabies? If you have one, I would love for you to share it with me. Enjoy and sweet dreams!
Here are some great websites if you are interested in songs for babies and kids:
http://www.kididdles.com (You can listen to the song on this site)
http://www.englishplaynow.com
http://bussongs.com/songs
http://www.lullabyisland.com/home.php?pg=songs

Sorry...just one more thing. Apparently there is a book by Jeanne Titherington.I want to check it out too. It has a really good rating on Amazon.com. Perhaps I will put it on my wish list. :)

2 comments:

Marnie said...

My mom used to sing this song to us too. I never learned the words so it is fun to see them up here. I would always try to remember them so that I could sing to my kids - now I can! Thanks for sharing.

Dorey said...

That is such a sweet song! My grandma would sing a song to me when I was a kid and I sing it to my kids almost every night. I love those kinds of traditions, it's good that you wrote it down so you will always remember. =)