Tuesday, August 11, 2009

The Fruits of My Labors


We have this apricot tree on our back yard that I just love. I have watched over the years as it has grown and become one of the prettiest trees. I love the way that the branches twist and stretch. It truly is a work of art and it is beautiful. Every spring we watch as the blossoms start to appear. We literally look out the window of the house and can see the dainty white blossoms. It is so pretty! This year we had some crazy weather and it would get warm and then really cold, so we thought that there might not be any apricots this year. My dad (who also loves this tree) would go out at about 2:00 in the morning and light this little chimney to keep the tree warm. To our surprise the apricots were plentiful. We ended up having a lot of apricots.

We picked and picked. Rylan would go out and just find one he liked and would pluck it off the tree, just to eat it. He loved having it for a snack. After a while we could not pick them fast enough, and they started falling to the ground and rotting. I hate to see things go to waste, and so I decided I wanted to try a few new things out. Here is what I was able to do with all the apricots. The Fruits of my labors:
1. Fruit Leather

2. Dried Fruit (Didn't take a picture)
3. Apricot Jam
4. Apricot Popsicles

5. Baby food (I am freezing it)
The jam ended up being the best of the three and with a little help (thanks Jan) I was able to make and can apricot jam. We now have an ample supply of it. It was a lot of work, a lot of fun and now I know how to do it. I also have to thank my mother-in-law for the canner I got for my birthday! I am so excited to have yummy jam from a tree that has been a part of my life. (so funny that I am so attached to a tree huh?) We've all been able to enjoy!




7 comments:

Dorey said...

That's so awesome! We had pomegranate tree growing up and I loved it too, my grandma made the sweetest jam. =) You'll have to teach me how to can sometime. =)

BTW: I went to Smith's market place today {I should have called you but it was last minute} anyway, they watched my kids while I peacefully shopped and it was sooo nice, I was such a happy mom after that. =) we need to do it together sometime soon.

Mindi said...

Wow good job! And thanks for the jam it is yummy!

linda said...

I know what you mean! I'm hungrily awaiting the peaches on my tree to ripen so I can start the same process. Too bad they can't just come on a few at a time and stretch out over the whole summer, I feel a week's worth of work coming on!

Safire said...

Yum! That looks so good. I wish we had a tree! :)

Family Days said...

That is so awesome! Sounds so yummy! We have a pecan tree here...if the squirrels don't get to it first!

Marnie said...

So cool! All of that food looks and sounds yummy. I really love the pictures of your kids with your dad.

Brittney said...

Yummy...I would love to try some of that fruit leather!